Introduced to the world in the 19th century, ice cream sandwiches brought a whole new variety of joy for the dessert lovers. They opened new ways to the ice cream lovers and were accepted widely all over the world. Ice creams have been the love of every simple person whether young or old and ice cream sandwiches were a nice addition to that. In different countries of the world, ice cream sandwiches have been given very different names which explain their widespread acceptability such as in Australia they are called Giant Sandwich, in Iran, they are known as bread-ice cream, in Israel, they are known by the name Kasata, and similarly by many other names in other countries.
Generally speaking, an ice cream sandwich consists of three layers in which the central layer is of an ice cream flavor of your choice and the two outer layers are of either chocolate filled biscuits or any other material of different ingredients like cookies.
Ingredients for ice cream sandwiches
The recipe for an ice cream sandwich is very simple and they are very easy to make. The procedure is so simple that everyone can make them in their homes or any other place. The ingredients of an ice cream sandwich are as follows:
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: 3 quarters of a cup
- Flour (all-purpose): 2 and a half cup
- Salt: 2 teaspoons
- Baking powder: 1 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter: 1 cup
- Brown sugar (light brown): 1 cup
- White sugar: 3 quarters of a cup
- 1 large room temperature egg
- Vanilla extract: 2 teaspoons
- Ice cream: 4 pints
Procedure for making ice cream sandwich
There are two main steps to make an ice cream sandwich. The first step is to prepare cookie dough and the second step is to add ice cream flavor that you like between the two layers of dough.
The procedure is as follows:
- Take a large bowl and add unsweetened cocoa powder in it.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 2 teaspoons of salt and all-purpose flour into it.
- Mix it well and these will act as your dry ingredients for later use.
- Now take a mixer whether a hand mixer or electric mixer and add unsalted butter into it.
- After that add brown sugar and white sugar into it and start mixing it.
- After that add room temperature egg into it and also add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and mix it well.
- After that take a spoon and start adding the dry ingredients prepared before into the mixer and start mixing.
- Keep adding the dry ingredients until a consistent mixture is formed.
- If you are using an electric mixer, mix it for 4 to 5 minutes and if you are using a hand mixer, mix it for a couple of minutes more.
- Now your dough is prepared, take a sheet of plastic or a slab and place the dough on it.
- Start grinding using a grinder and make a uniform layer. Then using a knife and a scale, divide the layer into small sized biscuits and you can use a fork to give them special designs on the outer sides.
- Once the cookie bars are prepared, take the ice cream flavor you like the most and paste it on the cookie and add another layer of cookie on it.
- Put in the refrigerator overnight and your ice cream sandwiches will be ready. To make them look better and taste better, you can add caramel or other little treats of different colors and make them stick and you will have the best sandwich ever.
- Another simpler method is to take your favorite cookie bars and your favorite ice cream flavor and put the ice cream between two layers of bars.
- Refrigerate it overnight and you will get your ice cream sandwiches all nice and cold.
Why do people love ice cream sandwiches?
There are many different reasons as to why people fall in love with these crunchy ice cream sandwiches as soon as they get a taste of them. Some of the reasons are given here:
- The method of their preparation is so simple that even a layperson can make them.
- You get to enjoy your favorite ice cream flavors and cookies at the same time.
- You can eat them in public or anywhere and they won’t take much of your time.
- They are considered as the best gifts; you can offer them to your loved ones and also you can share them with your colleagues and they will make you popular among them.
- They act as a rapid source of energy and they are not harmful to your health in any way.
- You can use them as desserts, lunch or any other you want and they will satisfy your needs.
They are different and more delicious than any other type of sandwiches, cookies or cakes; make them now and get a taste of these heavenly treats… Rock on.