Since the invention of ice cream, it has been loved by everyone no matter their age. But sadly, not everyone gets to experience the joy that ice creams bring because of their preferences or simply a condition such as lactose intolerance. For such kind of people who are vegetarians and who do not use anything other than vegan food, there are now many other options available in the category of ice creams “vegan ice creams”. There are many types of vegan ice creams that have been introduced to the vegan community. All you have to do is to select the one that you like best with the ingredients of your choice and enjoy them. It is even thought that vegan ice creams have more flavors than the regular ice creams. There are many books and magazines available which are the perfect guides of any ice cream flavor in the vegan category.
In this context, we are going to take a look at all the ingredients that you can use to add different flavors to your vegan ice cream.
How to make vegan ice cream?
The first and foremost, use the ingredients that are totally dairy-free and they don’t have any ingredients like eggs and other substances that are derived from animals like yogurt. Following are the ingredients that can be used for preparing vegan ice creams.
- Full-fat coconut milk: Two cans (13 to 15 ounces)
- Sweetener (agave syrup, honey, sugar, maple syrup and, and others): Half cup
- Salt: One-quarter of a teaspoon
- Cornstarch: Two tablespoons
- Vanilla extract: One and a half teaspoons
Note: Chocolate chips, nuts, cacao nibs and other ingredients related to these are optional and can be used according to one’s own preference.
Equipment used for this is spoons, whisk, measuring cups, spatula, ice cream machine, container (pan or pint container), wax paper, 2-quart saucepan etc.
General instructions to make vegan ice cream
The process is divided into two steps. In the first step a base is formulated and in the second step that base is converted into frozen ice cream.
- The ice cream machine has a bowl which should be frozen at least 24 hours before making vegan ice cream.
- The freezer is used to freeze the ice cream machine’s bowl to the required temperature.
- Take the cans of coconut and milk and shake them well before use because the coconut milk loses its consistency when it has spent a long time on the shelf.
- Now you need to divide the coconut into 2 parts for later use.
- Measure half a cup of coconut milk and put it in a separate bowl as this will be used separately.
- Now, take the remaining coconut milk and pour into the saucepan and into this milk add the sweetener of your choices such as maple syrup, agave syrup or sugar.
- Add salt into this mixture and fix the mixture for heating until it has dissolved the entire sweetener and salt that was added into it; this will take about 1 to 2 minutes of your time.
- Now take half a cup of coconut milk that you separated before and add starch into it.
- Whisking is done to this mixture until the starch has been completely dissolved into the coconut milk, while this process is happening, add cornstarch in parts to the warm coconut milk and keep mixing.
- Now mix the two parts of coconut milk and this mixture will act as the base. Now, the heat is applied to this base until it is thickened but don’t boil too much so that it doesn’t lose its consistency.
- After removing the base from heat, vanilla is added into it and stirred continuously to make a uniform mixture.
- Now the freezing is done by pouring the base into an empty container and refrigerating it.
- The normal refrigerating time for this base is from 4 hours to 3 days which depends upon your preference.
- Now, take the ice cream machine and begin the process of churning by added the chilled base into the machine.
- The churning process is done for about 20 to 30 minutes which depends upon your ice cream machine and any extra ingredients that you want to add in it.
- Stop the churning process when a thick paste is formed.
- This is again frozen for more than 4 hours and after that, it will be ready to serve.
Note: During the churning process you can add any extra ingredients like fruits and any other substances that are your favorite.
Enjoy the freshly prepared vegan ice cream which is dairy-free and vegan-friendly and share it with your friends and family.